SUWIC Laboratories in Sheffield City Centre
Sheffield-based SUWIC is home to world leading expertise with facilities to match
Laboratory and pilot scale test rigs are located in Sheffield along with diagnostic laboratories and computational facilities.
- Three bubbling fluidised beds on different scales
(40kg/hr capacity, 10kg/hr capacity, and a demonstration unit) with cyclones
- Small scale rotating fluidised bed (static bed)
- Small scale rotary kiln incinerator (2 kg/hr capacity)
- Pot burner for fixed bed combustion test (reactor diameter: 20cm) with a weighing scale
- Fixed bed air/steam gasifier (reactor diameter: 20cm) with temperature controllers and a weighing scale
- Pyrolysis reactor (capacity: 1kg)
- Ultra-superheated steam gasifier for pulverised coal and biomass
- Ash detoxification unit
- Water modelling facilities
- Vertical waste characterisation furnace
- Inorganic/organic compounds including trace levels
- Atomic absorption spectroscopy
- Ion chromatography
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Spectrometry
- Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometry for dioxin/furan measurement.
Large scale test rigs are located at our Harpur Hill research facility.
Sheffield city centre.
SUWIC is based in the Sir Robert Hadfield building, conveniently located less than ten minutes walk from Sheffield city centre in one direction and the centre of the University of Sheffield in the other.